Friday 23 May 2014

Rum Caramel For My Lover


So today it's been raining, quite a lot. But I don't mind so much, I like the pitter-patter it makes just outside the window. It also means the rosemary has been watered, and I like to think that the rosemary prefers the gentle rain water to my giant jug load of tap water.
But anyway, my point was that rainy days make wonderful baking days. I always feel like I've been given an extra day, a lovely little day where I won't feel guilty for staying indoors and I can stay in T's baggy T-shirt and spend the hours experimenting, with a whisk in one hand, a wooden spoon in the other and flour covering my bare arms and legs that will inevitably end up all over the flat.



Today has been no exception. The inspiration behind this little jar of Caramel were the Little Spiced Apple Pies I made this morning....and the reason I baked Little Spiced Apple Pies this morning was because, very simply, I missed T. When we woke up this morning we wished it was the weekend so we could stay curled around each other. So when he left for work I thought I'd bake him something yummy and sweet for when he came home.


Something we could share whilst we sat on the sofa with our feet tucked up beneath us, remarking on how we could smell the rain. Something that would not only let us celebrate the beginning of the weekend, but also something that if it could, in a tiny little voice, would say 'you're amazing, and I bloody love you so damn much'.
So that's how these share the love apple pies came to be.
And once you have two perfect little apple pie heart halves, it only seems right that there should be some kind of rum caramel to drizzle?


So the recipe for the Little Spiced Apple Pie's will be here next week.....
But for now, here's the Caramel Sauce recipe so you can make it and have it ready for when you're devouring the apple pies...

Rum&Coconut Caramel Drizzle Sauce

Ingrdients

2 oz Water
3 oz Brown sugar
1/2 Coconut milk - you can use a whole can if you wish, no need to alter the amounts of the other ingredients
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-2 Shots of dark rum - or spiced rum works well!

Combine the water and sugar in your favourite saucepan you use for all things caramel/fudge/toffee -y.
Bring it to the boil and simmer on a rolling boil until the colour darkens and it begins to caramelize and smell fabulous.
Don't let it turn to thick caramel though!
Remove it from the heat and whisk in the coconut milk.
Return it to the heat and let it simmer until it thickens. Remember, this is a drizzle sauce, so we don't want it to be as thick as some other caramel sauces, I let mine get to the consistency of somewhere between single and double cream. Remember it will continue to thicken as it cools.
Once you're happy with the thickness, remove it from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, rum and salt. 
Let it cool before whisking again and pouring over anything you want to lick it off.
You can store it in the fridge, if it hardens you can simply warm it back up and give it a whisk before serving.
Enjoy!


Happy Baking! x










No comments: